Situation: Due to the continuous lockdown, many people lost their jobs. The financial situation of many families are very bad. The children's schools were closed. Even today, in some Indian societies, old traditions are followed, which has led to an increase in child marriages among girls. According to the National Family Health Survey (2015-16), child marriage in India is 26.8%.
Children also have rights, but in some places these rights are being violated due to old and orthodoxy mentality. To stop this, Avani has started a Jagar project. Recognizing the high incidence of child marriage in rural areas, Avani has initiated efforts to enable the relevant system there.
Objective : 1) To create awareness about Child Marriage Prevention Act 2006.
2) To make the children aware of their rights and to make them aware of the working governmental system.
3) At the village level, Gramsevaks are the child marriage prevention officers. Awareness at village level due to lack of information in some places. To hold meetings of Gramsevak and Sarpanch
4) Establishment and empowerment of Village Child Protection Committees in villages and Ward Child Protection Committees in cities
5) To bring about change in the society through street plays and media.
Action :1)To prevent child marriage The Jagar project started from March 2021 in selected villages of Karveer, Panhala, Shahuwadi and Shirol talukas in Kolhapur district. In those villages, public awareness programs are underway to prevent child marriage.
2)We communicate with Village Child Protection Committee, Kolhapur District Collector, Zilla Parishad Chief Executive Officer, and District Women and Child Development Officer, through letter.
3) We conduct a awareness program of child marriage and children’s rights in communities and schools in Karveer taluka.
4) Panhala, Karveer, taluka were selected and village child protection committees were established and enabled in those villages.
1)Avani has succeeded in preventing 70 Plus child marriages through the Village Child Protection Committee in Karveer taluka.
2)Through this program, children and parents became aware of child related mechanisms and various programs are being conducted at the village level to prevent child marriage.
3) All Gram Panchayats are work on Village Child Protection Committees.